Members present: Amar, Ray, Manoj, Saad, Sandeep, and Harsha (on phone)
Review and pass minutes of meeting on September 26, 2010
Update from Poonam and Simma
As part of the progress with respect to the Horizons grant – we’ve hired a consultant and are in the process of creating a strategic plan. We are talking to the community and connecting with partner organizations for feedback to identify opportunities. Poonam and Simma are in In the process of analysing the results from the survey. The tentative plan is to digest the information with a half-day workshop with the board in early December. Announce the results to the community in a town-hall to engage with the community on the feedback early next year.
The Treasurer will provide a draft version of the budget by the end of the week (Oct 30th)
The Treasurer proposes a letter of thanks for donors. Unanimously approved.
Pride activities in South Asia
The secretary brought up the possibility of supporting pride activities in South Asia. Supporting international activities is not currently part of the Trikone mission statement. The board noted that we cannot make direct contributions, but we can provide space for volunteers who want to solicit resources for these activities at Trikone events.
Trikone’s involvement in the NQAPIA summit
Trikone will offer to raise awareness about the NQAPIA summit in the community. However, Trikone does not currently have the resources to provide organizational/logistical assistance.
Contract has been drawn up between Trikone and Red and Burgundy as proposed and voted online. Planned release date for the next issue is 3rd week of November.
Posting minutes online
Minutes will be posted online after they have been approved in a subsequent meeting. Unanimously approved.
Members present: Ray, Sandeep, and Manoj
Liaisons: Harsha, Saad
Vote on Saad and Harsha
Board unanimously votes to accept Saad and Harsha.
- The request for a speaker’s bureau came up at the community Town hall. The idea is to identify school districts with higher Asian/South Asian populations – and help organize events at these locations. Work with GAPA/SBQA to get critical mass to build a sustainable program.
- Harsha will submit a detailed proposal with the plan of action and resources required from the board.
There were several organizations at NQAPIA using the Trikone moniker. Harsha expressed concern that perhaps this might affect Trikone’s brand and if we should a) contact these organizations so that they clarify their relationship with Trikone or b) add a message on the Trikone website saying we don’t have chapters and do not officially endorse other “Trikone chapters”. Harsha will draft a message and run it by the board.
NQAPIA summit organization
NQAPIA has invited Trikone to participate in organizing the next summit. Harsha will try to locate Trikone folks interested in helping organize the summit.
Status report with the Horizons grant
Horizons is reissuing the paperwork with Ray and Punam named as the signatories. The new funds will arrive once this paperwork is returned.
Simma’s progress report
Simma has prepared a survey based on conversations with the board and some of the community members. The board will examine the survey and send feedback through Punam (via Manoj). This will be optional – Simma will not be required to take any of the feedback into account.
Report on Status of changing signatures on Bank accounts
- Ray hopes to finish everything up this week. We have all the paperwork needed.
- Union Bank – Trikone account with this bank has become inactive.
- Ray proposes that we roll everything into the First Union Bank account and close the Union Bank account. Unanimously passed.
Setting up a donor recognition process
- Ray will set up a letter to thank the donors and send them a receipt.
- Online donations through Google checkout go through Manoj and Amar.
Manoj will drive the schedule and agenda for the retreat. Aim to have this before the end of the year. Tentative dates: Dec 18th and 19th.
Members present: Ray, Ali, Sandeep, Praney, Amar, and Manoj
Guests: Silpa, Simma
Introduction of new liaisons to the board
- Silpa attended the board meeting to meet the board and consider joining as a liaison to the board. She expressed interest in being part of Trikone’s outreach program. She will work with WoT and figure out how to contribute to Trikone’s outreach efforts.
- Saad could not attend, but expressed interest in helping with the website.
- Silpa and Saad were unanimously voted in as liaisons.
- Confirming existing liaisons as board members
- Sandeep, Ali, Amar have been confirmed unanimously as new board members
Discuss the role of the consultant for the Horizons/POCIBLE grant
- Trikone has a grant to grow and improve the impact of Trikone in the community. The board had previously decided to spend a portion of this grant to get input from a consultant on how we can improve Trikone’s processes
- Simma had a 45 minute conversation with the board on what the board’s vision was for Trikone. Simma will conduct phone interviews with the rest of the board. Ray will work with Simma and the board to determine further progress
Changing authorized signatories with the bank on behalf of Trikone
- Rakesh currently has the credit card.
- Manoj, Ray, and Sandeep can be the signatories on the checks. (Co-chair, treasurer, secretary)
- Manoj will retrieve the Trikone credit card from Rakesh
- Sandeep will prepare and send a document to Ray
- Ray will submit docs to the bank and update the signatories
- Ali proposes and the board unanimously agreed
Ali’s update on the magazine
- Ali’s updates on the Trikone magazine subscriber base. 8 new subscribers at the Kulture Kulcha. Ali suggested a possible Trikone Magazine group on Facebook – he will send a detailed proposal soon. He will have a copy of the magazine ready soon and expects to ship in the first week of June.
- Ali and Ray will work on the new contract with Red and Burgundy.
Amar’s update on Pride plans
- Pre-pride party
- DJs for API-wellness and the Pink Party
- Float (Registration has been paid for)
- We’ve paid Club Six for Friday night’s party.
- Fiscal sponsorship of SALGA
- Ray will follow up with SALGA for a report on how the funds will be deployed.
Possibilities for a Trikone Ombudsman
- Add a TODO for the consultant to think about a Trikone Ombudsman position and his role
Next board meeting on 3rd Sunday in June 2.30 to 4.30 at Ray’s
Members present: Amar, Ali, Praney, Sandeep, and Manoj
Bollywood by the Bay
Event was considered highly successful. It fostered interactions between South Asian LGBT folks and the South Asian community at large. The Supper Club has invited Trikone back. Trikone has also been invited to strike up a partnership with other LGBT organizations in the bay area for events in the future (Asian American Theatre Inc. and Out and Equal).
Partnership with SALGA New York
SALGA is interested in working with Trikone for fiscal sponsorship and is applying for a capacity growth grant. The board has learned that SALGA is going through leadership changes. The board will determine why Trikone is the best choice to sponsor them instead of local 501 (c) (3) agencies.
Sunil from Trikone Northwest has contacted Trikone with a request similar to SALGA. Trikone will assist them with their grant application following the same parameters used for SALGA.
AMU protest letter
A protest letter is already on the website. We are gathering signatures. Amar will compose a letter encouraging people to put the signature on the protest letter. Amar will send this to the listservs. The letters will go out to multiple South Asian communities around the world.
Ali is taking over firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Our current subscription base is 216 paid subscriptions. The board will investigate methods to increase the reach of the magazine.